If you have ever experienced unsolicited pop-ups on your browser, Chances are that your PC is infected with a devious malware. This portends a huge risk to your personal files and the health of your system and the issue should be addressed with immediate effect. Malware can have adverse effects including deleting files, corrupting files and even damaging your system”s hard drive.
You are watching: How to stop websites from opening new tabs firefox
In this tutorial, we are going to learn how to stop websites from opening new tabs on, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, and Mozilla Firefox.
Stop websites from opening on Google Chrome
To stop websites from opening new tabs on Google Chrome (version 83.0), simply follow these simple steps.
1. On your google browser, click the three-dot menu located at the right top corner of your window.
2. Next, Select settings, on the left side of the window, click on Privacy & Security.
3. On the resulting page, select Site Settings.
4. Under the site settings, choose pop-ups & redirects. From there, you can either block or allow the pop-ups.
Stop websites from opening on Internet Explorer
Follow these steps to disable pop-ups on internet explorer 11. I have specified the version because this method might not work on other previous versions.
Open the Internet explorerAt the top right corner click on the Tools iconOn the resulting window, click Internet options
4. On the new page choose on the privacy tab
5. Deselect the checkbox to turn on the pop blocker under the pop blocker option
6. When you are done click OK
Stop websites from opening on Firefox (version 78.0.2)
Pop-ups appear automatically without any permission. They usually come in different sizes but don”t cover the whole screen. These Pop-ups may appear on top of the firefox window and maybe at the bottom of the window.
However, firefox allows one to control pop-ups in the firefox options. You don”t have to worry about enabling the pop blocking to prevent pops ups, as it is turned on by default.
When you block a pop-up, Firefox will display an information bar and as well as an icon pop in the address bar.
Blocked popups On the information bar, click the options button then, a menu will display with the following:
Allow/Block pop-ups for this siteEdit pop blocker optionsDon”t show this message when pop-ups are blocked
When you block pop-ups this may interfere with some websites which include; banking sites that use pop-ups such as important features and can be disabled, when the pop-ups are blocked. You can add specific websites while blocking others, to the list of allowed sites which I”ll show you later.
Sometimes, blocking the pop-ups may not work and they can show themselves in unknown criteria, even after been blocked. But this not an issue, we will look at it.
Pop-up blocker settings
Follow these steps to access the pop-up blocker settings.
On the top right side of your firefox window, click on the three straight lines to open the menu.Scroll down and select options.
3. On the new window, select Privacy & Security on your left side.
4. Thereafter, scroll all the way down to the Permission section, on the Block pop-up window option, uncheck the box before it, to disable the pop-up blocker.
5. If you want to make exceptions for some websites, click on the Exception option which is right beside the Block pop-up windows. A dialog will open with a list of sites that you can allow display pop-ups.
6. On the Address of the website section, provide the address of the website you want to display if the site is not listed then, click Allow and select Save changes to update the changes.
Is the pop-up not blocked?
If this happens then, this can mean that the pop may not be coming from Firefox, and therefore, we need to know its origin. You can actually know where it is coming from, from the appearance of the window.
If the address bar has a Tracking Protection button together with the Site identity button, in the pop-up window then, it is definitely coming from firefox.
If you don”t see the above buttons on the address bar, then this should ring an alarm, because it can be a sign of a malware on your PC that actually causes the pop-ups. To solve this you can troubleshoot Firefox issues caused by malware.
Now to deal with the pop-ups that is coming from Firefox, you can follow these simple steps.
Click the menu button and select options.Then select Privacy & Security then choose PermissionOn the checkbox beside the Block pop-up window make sure it is checkedThen click Exceptions, then on the dialog box, there will be a list of sites that are allowed to have pop-ups.Check if the site that is disturbingly opening pop-ups is listed there if it is, select remove website to remove the site completely. Click on save changes and close the page.
This concludes this tutorial on, how to stop websites from opening new tabs. This tutorial was done using the latest versions of Google Chrome, Internet Explorer and Mozilla firefox. We hope that it was useful to you.